Casa Alianza Honduras has observed that, since the beginning of 2005, executions of children and young people have been on the increase in Honduras. During the month of January alone, 34 children and young people under the age of 23 lost their lives as a result of an execution or a violent death. In February, the total number of under 23s already ascends to 37.
Although the State of Honduras has acknowledge the existence of this problem, its gravity, seriousness and dimensions are not entirely grasped, since the efforts and resources that are being assigned to address it are not sufficient. Casa Alianza Honduras recognises the efforts of the Special Investigation Unit for the Murders of Children, nevertheless the few resources of the unit limit the effectiveness of the investigations and consequently leave Honduran children without the protection they need. Casa Alianza Honduras urges the State of Honduras to provide its children and youth with a greater and better protection, assigning more resources to the institutions in charge of conducting investigations and administrating justice; sanctioning the people responsible for these deaths; and assuring the full enjoyment of their fundamental rights to each Honduran child and young person.
Previous Members news items
- 11/02/2005: GLOBAL: No-hitting, No-smacking, No-spanking Day for Children
- 10/02/2005: UK: Labour Plans for Removal of Separated Children Ignore the Best Interests of the Child
- 08/02/2005: GLOBAL: Campaign on Universal Birth Registration
- 28/01/2005: Kenya: Discrimination Against Children Born out of Wedlock
- 28/01/2005: GUATEMALA: Cruzando la frontera para encontrar a su mama
Casa Alianza Honduras
Apartado 2401, Tegucigalpa
Tel: + 504 22 5884
Fax: + 504 221 5883
Last updated 22/02/2005 12:11:37