The UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights has published a draft General Comment on "Discrimination and Economic, Social and Cultural Rights". The Comment includes provisions protecting children from discrimination on the basis of age and a number of other grounds.
The document is an outcome of a half-Day of General Discussion (DGD), held during the Committee's 41st session, on discrimination and economic, social and cultural rights, in accordance with article 2 (2) of the Covenant.
The aim of the DGD was to foster a deeper understanding of the content and implications of article 2 (2) of the Covenant. The General Discussion aimed to:
- Explore the various obligations that article 2 (2) imposes on States parties;
- Analyse the prohibited grounds of non-discrimination; and,
- Reflect on possible means State parties can adopt at the national level for the implementation of article 2 (2).
Read the draft General Comment on this page: http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/cescr/discussion17112008.htm
Previous Publication (general) items
- 12/02/2009: HIV and AIDS: Home Truths: Facing the Facts on Children, AIDS, and Poverty
- 12/02/2009: VIH/SIDA: Des vérités qui dérangent: Enfants, sida et pauvreté
- 12/02/2009: INDIA: Still Out of Focus - The State of India's Children 2008
- 11/02/2009: INDONESIA: Workers in the Shadows: Abuse and Exploitation of Child Domestic Workers
- 11/02/2009: Complaints Mechanism: Lobbying Documents
Organisation Contact Details:
UN OHCHR - Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
Office for the High Commissioner for
Human Rights (OHCHR)
Palais des Nations
8-14 Avenue de la Paix
1211 Geneva 10
Tel: + 41 22 917 93 21
Last updated 19/02/2009 13:24:55